Saturday, September 7, 2013

Zambia game recap

The Zambian Chipolopolo Boys lost the soccer match last night to the Ghana Black Stars (Ghana's flag has one black star on it) in a score of 2 - 1. My buddy Paul Mulenga and I watched it at the Barclay's complex. It was shown on a big screen, but the quality was lacking, as frequently the signal was lost, which lead to a lot of hollering from the crowd. That said, it was a fun and lively atmosphere. There were probably a few hundred people on the grassy field sitting in bleachers, chairs or just on the grass. It was a chilly evening, with temps probably between 55 - 60. 
Different folks came in with different Zambia affiliated outfits, from mohawks, to hard hats to scarves to panchos, but perhaps my favorite were the guys who came in with their faces completely white with what looked like chalk. These guys were rowdy and got a lot of responses from the crowd. I asked a couple of people what it meant for them to have their faces done in white, and I received responses which varied. The answers were that they were supposed to look crazy, that it was supposed to show excitement or that it was supposed to demonstrate team support - whatever it meant, I wish I'd have gotten my pic taken with them. They kinda looked like these guys, but they weren't wearing any type of tribal gear like they were from the bush.


Here's a pic of my buddy Paul and me. Paul is helping me to meet other people and get acclimated to things in Zambia that I don't understand. When I was here last summer, his wife is the one who cooked me the grub worms, so that I could try them. 

And I had to include the pic of Paul and me without the flash. Paul and I had a good laugh at this pic. It's a good reminder to always smile in pics. :)







2 comments: