Friday, October 11, 2013

Zambian scam artists

So, I pulled into a small specialty grocery store that is a little bit of a higher end store with a small parking lot. As I pull into my parking spot, I hear someone hit the back of my car with what I presume to be a hand. Hence the conversation begins:

-note to reader: the back and forth in this conversation has been condensed for the author's sanity-

Small Zambian man comes to Jordan's window: "Hey boss, did you not see the big man you just hit?"

Jordan: "No, he just hit the back of my car with his hand."

Small Zambian: "No, you hit him with your car." (note to reader: a lot of Zambians walk along the side of the road, so many of them are quite savvy at avoiding traffic)

Big Zambian comes up to Jordan's window limping: "Hey boss, why did you hit me with your car?"

Jordan: "I hit you with my car? Where did I hit you?"

Big Zambian: <motions towards left leg, below knee> "Why did you hit me? I am in a lot of pain." <starts moving his leg as if it very painful>

Small Zambian: "Yes, why did you hit him?"

Jordan: "Ok, I'm sorry, clearly I didn't mean to hit you on purpose." <to small Zambian> "
"Ok, you can go away, I'll take this up with this guy."

Small Zambian: "No, I am his brother, I must stay with him."

Big Zambian: "I need to go to the University Teaching Hospital for x-rays. My leg hurts."

Jordan: <looks at his pockets to see if any type of weapons could be hidden in them> "Ok, well I can take you there. Do you know how to get there?"

Big Zambian: "Yes, but we could just take a cab."

Jordan: "No, I would take you since I hit you, and I'm not taking him, b/c he is not injured."

Big Zambian: "But he must go. He's my cousin."

Jordan: "I thought you said he was your brother."

Big Zambian: "He is my cousin, but I call him my brother b/c we are close."

Jordan: "Whatever, I'm not taking him. Go away. You, get in the car."

Big Zambian: <gets in car> <*Mom, and all maternal figures reading this blog, do not be concerned, as Jordan is bigger than 98% of all Zambians and had the situation well under control.>

Jordan: "Which way do I go?" <big Zambian points> "What is your name?"

Big Zambian: "Michael. Why did you not let me cousin get in the car? You were very mean to him."

Jordan: "He can get a cab if he needs to go to the hospital. He doesn't need to be there with you."

Big Zambian: "I am in much pain. I will need money for medicine."

Jordan: <pulls car to side of road> "Listen, you have two options. I can take you to the hospital and money will exchange hands between myself and the doctors or you can get out right now."

Big Zambian: <thinks about it then gets out of car>

Jordan: <Drives off, then gets really ticked off and turns around to try if he can catch big Zambian walking down the road, not limping. Doesn't find big Zambian. Goes to the same grocery store the next day and advises store manager of scam from last night.>

1 comment: